Executive Chef directs and oversees the operations of the kitchen(s), including menu development, inventory and purchasing of supplies, cost control and sanitation. Creates and updates menus to maximize profits and minimize loss. Being an Executive Chef tests and develops recipes. Monitors customer satisfaction. Additionally, Executive Chef is responsible for supervising and training staff. Requires an understanding of federal, state, and local food sanitation regulations. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to top management. The Executive Chef typically manages through subordinate managers and professionals in larger groups of moderate complexity. Provides input to strategic decisions that affect the functional area of responsibility. May give input into developing the budget. To be an Executive Chef typically requires 3+ years of managerial experience. Capable of resolving escalated issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments.
Executive Chef Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Executive Chef to join our team.
- Ensure the consistent production of high quality food through all hotel food outlets;
- Manage financial performance of the department so all planning is in line with hotel objectives;
- Ensure monthly communication meetings are conducted and post-meeting minutes generated;
- Resolve, promptly and completely, any issues that may arise in the kitchen or related areas among Guests and Team Members;
- Actively seek verbal feedback from customers on a regular basis and respond to all guest queries in a timely and efficient manner;
- Ensure that staffing levels are maintained to cover business demands;
- Identify an effective approach to succession planning;
- Control costs without compromising standards, improving gross profit margins and other departmental and financial targets;
- Control all purchases for the department, consistently aware of quality and cost;
- Maintain solid communication and work relationships in all hotel areas;
- Maintain rigid food safe standards in align with Hilton policy and ensue the supporting systems are in place and audited regularly;
- Identify an effective approach to skills training and succession planning;
- Prepare annual budgets and administer in a fiscally responsible manner;
- Lead and manage the day-to-day operations of Culinary department ensuring all service standards are followed;
- Ensure the consistency in the preparation of all food items for a la carte and/or buffet menus according to property recipes and standards.
- Must be able to adjust production methods / production as necessary to maximize cost effectiveness;
- A business focused approach to managing a hotel kitchen;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- A creative approach to the production of high quality food;
- Previous, relevant experience as an Executive Chef or a high-performing Sous Chef in a first class property, required;
- Excellent leadership skills;
- Ability to manage a large volume production schedule and team;
- A current, valid, and relevant trade qualification (proof may be required);
- Ability multi-task and meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of Vessel Sanitation Program regulations and procedures and basic knowledge of HACCP rules and regulations;
- Possess a formal qualification in culinary arts from a recognized culinary training institution;
- High attention to detail, takes pride in delivering a great service;
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office and job related computer software;
- At least 5 year(s) of working experience in the Hotel Industry/First Class Restaurants is required for this position;
- Excellent leadership, planning, and organizing skills.