Health and Safety Manager monitors the removal of physical, biological and chemical hazards, and training of employees on safety policies, procedures, and regulations. Verifies compliance with health and safety regulations and ensures all necessary records are maintained and prepared according to established guidelines. Being a Health and Safety Manager manages the participation in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspections, providing inspectors with appropriate documents and identifying safety measures. Ensures projects are completed on time and within budget. Additionally, Health and Safety Manager acts as advisor to health and safety administration team regarding projects, tasks, and operations. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a Manager or Head of a Unit/Department. The Health and Safety Manager manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. To be a Health and Safety Manager typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 – 3 years supervisory experience may be required. Extensive knowledge of the function and department processes.
Health and Safety Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Health and Safety Manager to join our team.
- Risk assessment and control Assist in conducting risk assessments and provide input to corrective and preventative actions and follow;
- Visible Felt Leadership If applicable;
- and safety activities on their sites or posts in line with the procedures detailed in the BPC Occupationa;
- Reporting identified hazards and appropriate risk control measures to the Site Managers;
- Mini Risk Assessments/Job Safety Analysis/Daily Safety Task Analysi;
- Communication on incident recalls (BPC/Client Newsflash Reports);
- Dealing with health and safety issues in line with the procedures detailed in the BPC Health and Safet;
- Health and Safety Management System;
- Management System;
- Management for corrective action. Investigate all accidents, dangerous occurrences and non-conformances;
- Ensure sites comply with basic legal requirements such as;
- team members or using own vocational knowledge and experience;
- Assist Site Managers with contractor packs/safety files and compiling of Safe Operating Procedures;
- Manage the ISO 18001 Safety Management System.
- PSIRA certification Grade A;
- Certificate in SAMTRAC or equivalent (NQF5);
- Grade 12 or equivalent qualification;
- Sound communication skills;
- Proven experience and training on ISO 18001 and 45001 systems;
- Valid SAPS Competency Certificate (Handgun, Shotgun and Rifle;
- Clean disciplinary and criminal;
- Have knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Business Purpose training handgun/shotgun/rifl;
- National Key point training;
- MS Office programs proficiency (very good knowledge of Excel);
- Relevant experience in the health and safety environment;
- Code 8 Drivers license;
- Minimum 3 years Managerial or Supervisory experience in the Mining environment.